Sunday, September 23, 2012

M's Marathon

M ran his marathon today.  We were up and out of the house by 5:30am to drive to Half Moon Bay.  E dozed off during the car ride but L was up.  We got there around 6:45am.  We headed into an open indoor mall where it was warmer inside (it was probably 50 degrees outside).  M warmed up a bit and relaxed before his event.

The boys were all bundled up for the cool weather!

The Half Moon Bay International Marathon #HMBIM began at 7:45am (the half, 5K, and 10K events started earlier).  Once M went to line up the boys and I planted ourselves on a corner where we knew M would come running by as he started.  L was so excited to see his daddy come running by.  He held up a sign to show him as the event started.

Once M passed the boys and I headed back into the indoor mall to warm up and kill some time before M would pass by the start/finish line again around mile 9.  I gave the boys some snacks and let them wander around a bit.

 
I'm tempted to send this picture to Gap to offer up my boys as their next Gap Kids models - aren't they adorable?

But I digress.  At this time it was getting past E's normal nap time.  I gave him his bottle and blankie and put him in the stroller with it reclining.  I was hoping the bouncing of the stroller as we walked would put him to sleep but we had no such luck.  Instead he just screamed.  He'd calm down for a bit but for the most part he was not a happy camper.  L and I didn't let it dampen our spirits though.  We headed back outside to the same spot where we were before so we could wait to watch M pass us.  L held up a sign that grew quite the crowd around him taking pictures.

Everyone was laughing at that sign.  As the runners ran past us many laughed and gave us the thumbs up.  I'm glad they weren't offended by the sign.  We caught the attention of a local reporter who took a few pictures of L holding the sign and later asked us for our names and information.  He said he'd look for us at the end of the marathon to interview M to get his reaction to the signs.

We were so excited to see M come running around the bend.  L got such a huge smile on his face when he saw daddy.  I was glad M wore a bright yellow shirt since it was easy to spot him on this foggy day.

After we saw him around mile 9 we got into the car and drove south on highway 1 so we could catch him again.  We parked not far from an aid station on Poplar Beach and caught him as he ran past mile 15. 

 And waved goodbye as he ran past us. 
 The rest of the time while we waited to see him again (he would head south to the Ritz Carlton and then turn around to head back and we'd catch him around mile 22) L and I would cheer at the other runners.  L was so adorable.  He'd yell "Good Job!" to the different runners we'd see and many of them would give him a big smile or say thank you.  We also would clap or say "Woohoo!" as they sped past us.  E (who still hadn't napped at this point) was in the Ergo and he would mimic the sounds we were making too.  It was really cute.

As M approached mile 22 we made sure to cheer even louder for him.  I thought I'd give him something to laugh at so I held up a sign that said, "If you think you're tired...my arms are killing me!"
 It was such a thrill to see him run by. He always had a smile on his face.  His form was great.  He made it look so easy (even though I know it wasn't)!
 After we saw him at mile 22 we quickly packed up the car and raced back to the finish line.  E fell asleep on the 15 minute car ride back.  I thankfully was able to transfer him to the stroller without him waking and we ran to the finish line.  As we saw the runners come through who I knew were just a bit ahead of M, L and I got excited.  I knew M would have a good time because the announcer was saying not too many runners had finished yet.  Then we saw that yellow shirt make it's way up the hill.

 M completed the marathon in 3:27:57 which was a PR for him.  He finished 29th overall and 10th in his age group.  I am so proud of him.  He did amazing.  Watching him cross that finish line brought tears to my eyes.  Remembering all of the hard work and dedication he put into training for this marathon and then to have him do so well was so inspiring. 
 After some post marathon stretches and a walk around the farmer's market we headed home - all of us exhausted in our own way. 
 I can't wait to cheer M on again in December as he tackles the California International Marathon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment