Saturday, September 1, 2012

Chi Running Lesson

Today M and I took a private Chi Running lesson.  Back in February I took a 5 hour Chi Running Workshop that totally changed how I view running. At that point I couldn't even run half a mile so taking a workshop where I'd be running a lot was really intimidating.  But I learned so much.  I learned proper form for running and I really attribute it to helping me get to where I am now. Most of all I learned that I CAN run.  I just need to dedicate myself to actually DOING it.

M and I talk a lot about running.  I shared with him what I learned from the workshop.  He's been struggling with his right Achilles tendon during his marathon training and thought he'd benefit from improving his form a bit and hopefully stay injury free to run his marathon on the 23rd.  I contacted Hazel Wood who was the instructor at my workshop and inquired about a private lesson.  We met with her today.

The lesson was great.  Even though a lot of the things we went over today, I heard at the workshop I attended back in February, they took on a whole new meaning now that I have been running regularly.  In addition it was really gratifying to be able to run the different drills and see how I have improved.  I was able to fine tune my form and also apply different techniques that seemed too overwhelming a few months ago. 

M benefited from the lesson because he learned that he could actually lean forward more and increase his speed.  It made him feel good when right away Hazel commented that he could push himself further.  He'd love to qualify for Boston at some point so hearing that he is capable of increasing his speed was awesome.  She was able to observe us run and give us pointers on how we could improve.  I felt awesome when she commented on how much I've changed from when I first worked with her.  It really solidified in my own mind that I am a runner now.  At the end of the lesson she videotaped us running and gave us feedback.  Seeing myself run now compared to how I ran 7 months ago was really inspiring.  It lifted my spirits especially considering I've had a hard week running and just haven't been feeling it.  I hope I remember that running has its ups and downs but that I need to stick with it because I have improved so much and I'd love to continue to improve. 


No comments:

Post a Comment