Sunday, February 3, 2013

Challenging Week

At the beginning of this week I was worried about how I was going to get my 3 required runs in not to mention cross training days.  I know how important my runs are because with my right hand still not at full use I can't do a lot of my normal cross training things (yoga, push ups, weights, etc).  I'm not allowed to extend my right hand or put any weight on it.  I'm still limited to carrying things 1 pound or less.  With those limitations it is crucial that I get my 3 runs in and try and add on an additional run each week instead of cross training.

This week was crazy.  Tuesday I normally run after work but M had a dentist appointment so that meant I had to take the boys to their swim lesson.  We grabbed dinner after with my parents and didn't make it home until it was dark.  So I couldn't run then.  Wednesday I had to be at work at 6am and wasn't able to do my run with my students (we're training to run the Oakland Half Marathon) since I had to rush home because we had a repairman coming to fix our oven.  But when M got home with the boys I laced up my shoes and headed out for 4 miles.  Running at 5pm after a long day at work is definitely not ideal but I did it.  Thursday afternoon I usually run after work but I had a doctor's appointment with my surgeon so I wasn't going to be able to then.  Instead I ran during my prep period at work.  I ran 4 miles and then showered in the girl's locker room before inhaling my lunch and then teaching the next period.  Definitely not something I've done before! 

I was kind of amazed that 4 miles used to be my long runs yet here this week I ran 4 miles twice back to back.  I rested Friday because Saturday was my long run of 7 miles - my furthest distance so far.  I ran twice around Lake Merritt and then a little bit further.  It was a great run.  I felt incredibly strong the first 5.5 miles.  The last mile and a half was hard but I finished strong. 

Today I knew I needed to cross train.  I decided to go for an easy 2 mile run.  M is always telling me that when I run on tired legs I build up strength.  I went for it.  My legs were heavy and sore and after half a mile I had serious doubts if I was going to be able to run the entire time.  I ran 2 miles at a 10:36 pace.  I felt good after and in many respects these 2 miles seemed harder than the 7 miles yesterday.  I can't believe I'm 5 weeks into the half marathon training program.  I'm beginning to feel like I really can do this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment