Wednesday, August 29, 2012

My reason for running

Since I started running in February I've come up with a variety of reasons why I run.  Depending on my mood I'll lock into one as my real reason for running.  Sometimes it's my health.  I don't want to battle the diseases my parent's have, most recently the threat of hypertension (which I've kept at bay since running, thank you very much). 

Other times my reasons are purely vanity.  I want to lose these last 10 pounds and fit into my skinny clothes.  I want to firm up my body after enduring 2 pregnancies recently.  I want to be confident in how I look. 

But lately the reason I keep coming back to are my boys.  They are the reason why I run.

I want us to have an active lifestyle.  When M and I talk about vacations with the boys we talk about hiking, kayaking, swimming, etc.  I want to be an active participant, not someone who just sits and watches.  I want to model for my boys the importance of taking care of your body, being active and healthy.  I want exercise to be a natural part of their life as they get older.  But ultimately I want to live a long life that I can share with them. They bring such joy to my life and I don't want to miss out on anything. 

Next time I go out and run, I need to remind myself of this.  I need to picture their sweet faces and remember that they are the real reason why I run.

No comments:

Post a Comment