Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Coming back from a bad run

I had a bad run today.  I hate runs like that.  I should have known a difficult run was coming because my runs last week were awesome.  I was super proud of running the lake in 29 minutes Tuesday.  Thursday I rocked on my evening run, even though it was warm.  Sunday I ran 5 miles and it was relatively easy (never thought that would be the case).  So it's only natural that I'd have a hard run. 

Today I drove to the lake after work, as I have been the past few weeks.  It was warm outside but I can't blame the bad run on that, although I'm sure it played into it to some degree.  I just wasn't feeling it.  My mind was getting the best of me.  I felt tired.  I was hot.  I didn't think I could make it around the lake.  I took 2 walking breaks.  I haven't taken a walk break in a long time.  I was defeated before I even began.

Was it really that hot?  No.  Was I really that tired?  No.  Could I really not make it around the lake?  Of course not.  But for some reason I let my mind get the best of me.  I try and tell myself that bad runs happen.  Sometimes I'm just not feeling it.  But the hard part for me is moving past it.  Now I'm hesitant to run tomorrow.  I'm afraid of it happening again.  I've lost that runners high I had last week.  I know I'll get it back.  But mentally it's such a tough battle. 

I keep hoping that one day I'll wake up and not have to fight these mental fights when I'm running.  I suppose I feel like that is my proof that I'm really a runner now.  But M keeps telling me that he still has bad days, they never really go away.  You just learn to silence that voice. 

Hoping I learn how to do it sooner rather than later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment