Sunday, March 3, 2013

Under 10 minutes!

I did not want to run today.  I just wasn't feeling it.  I had a busy morning and early afternoon and I was tired.  I think because I was only scheduled to run 5 miles I felt like I could blow it off.  It was a recovery week so it didn't seem as important to get in.  I was pretty much resigned not to run today. 

But I just told myself to get up and go.  I'm so glad I did.  I ran my 5 miles averaging just shy of a 11 minute a mile pace.  I've been running with a coworker who runs a bit slower than me (12 minute miles) so my pace has naturally slowed down a bit to stay with her.  I feel like I've gotten used to running at this pace.  It felt good to get back to my usual 11 minute mile pace. 

As I came upon 3.4 miles I was feeling really strong.  I told myself to push it and see how fast I could go.  I was shocked when I was keeping a 9:40 pace for the last 1.6 miles. 
This was much faster than I normally run.  It felt awesome.  It got me thinking that maybe I should put in some speed work into my training.  For so long I've just said that I've been happy to RUN that I didn't care how fast (or slow) I went, as long as I was running.  Today's run sparked a bit of fire in me.  I think when I start training for my next half marathon (11 weeks from my first one!) that I will add in a tempo run each week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment