Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Pulling out of the Kaiser Permanente Half Marathon

Sadly I'm not going to be able to run the Kaiser Permanente Half Marathon in San Francisco on February 2nd. My injury has persisted (doctor diagnosed it as hip tendinitis) despite resting it.  Monday I went out for a test run.  I ran 2 easy miles but the pain increased toward the end of my run.  It's pretty apparent that I won't be able to run 13.1 miles. 

I'm sad and disappointed.  I'm beginning to miss running.  Hopefully another week or so of rest will allow it to heal so I can get back out there.  I had already decided not to sign up for a spring half but instead focus on increasing speed and maybe do a few 5Ks and 10Ks.  Now I'm not so sure.  I'm hesitant to sign up for anything at this point. 

The outside of my leg is tight - I believe that's my IT band.  I need to research foam rolling and see if that helps. 

Instead of wallowing in the disappointment of not being able to run the half marathon (after such a good training cycle with my new running coach!) I'm going to use this time off to add in some strength training (a goal of mine for the past 2 years!) and also check out some yoga studios.  I'm hoping that will keep me from losing too much fitness and will also help me add them in to my routine when I do begin running again.

No comments:

Post a Comment