Thursday, January 16, 2014

My Taper Slump

Usually when I’m training for a race, I dream about those last two weeks of the training schedule, the taper.  After hitting a peak of high mileage, those short runs at the end, and the extra days off seem like a mini-vacation before the race.  But the reality is, I can never fully enjoy the taper – whether it’s withdrawal, or an irrational fear that my hard earned fitness is slowly deflating, or like this time around, anxiety for the unknown that awaits me this weekend, the taper weeks are always a drag.

My original plan was to run the North Face Endurance Challenge 50 miler in December, but I waited just a bit too long to commit to the race and when I went to sign up, it was full.  I had already been training for a couple months, so I found another race, the San Diego 50 Miler in January, and signed up immediately.  This would give me a chance to see my brother and his girlfriend’s new place in Escondido, take the family to my old college stomping grounds, and give me an additional month and a half to train.  With five road marathons under my belt (four in the past year), it felt like it was time to see if I could go further.  Plus, I was getting a little bored running on pavement, and the idea of exploring the trails around Mount Diablo sounded intriguing.

Now that the race is just three days away, I know I should just trust in my training, but there is just so much uncertainty to stay calm and confident this time around.  My longest training run was the Lake Folsom 50K in November, and I actually came in third overall.  I ran that race like a marathon though, going out a bit too fast and paying for it through the last few miles.  Even though technically it is an ultra, I didn’t really feel like that gave me credibility to claim I’ve completed an ultra. 

The bulk of my training took place in the hills around Concord and Walnut Creek.  All of my medium training runs of at least six miles were either in the hills of Lime Ridge or Shell Ridge, and all included as many hills as I could get in.  I ran the hills as much as I could, and even though I plan to walk some hills in San Diego, I figured running would give me a better base of fitness.  My long runs were pretty much exclusively on Mount Diablo, through Castle Rock.  It’s about four and a half miles to get to the entrance of Castle Rock from my house, but there’s something about stepping out of my door for a run without having to get into a car that I enjoy.  The summit of Mount Diablo is twelve miles away, so I’ve been doing summit runs from my house for a few months now.  The summit elevation is 3800 feet, so I feel like I’m pretty well prepared for the 5500 feet of elevation gain over 50 miles in San Diego.  The peak of my training included two 28 mile runs (I included the North Summit and a few hundred feet elevation gain) within six days of each other.  I survived it all, but still, this anxiety won’t quit.

I went out for a two mile run this evening, and began wondering about that tug in my Achilles, and that ache in the arch of my foot, and the general sluggishness I feel this week after fighting a cold and going back to work.  I also woke up with a pinched nerve in my back last week, but that has abated and hopefully won’t return.  It’s not exactly that I doubt myself because I learned in my training, that when it comes down to it, I’m a pretty resilient mofo.  One of those Mount Diablo summit runs was done in the morning, and when I left my house in the 6am darkness in shorts and a long sleeve shirt, it was in the twenties.  Things didn’t improve much higher up on the mountain with the ice on the trail and the wind kicking up.  But I made it through that run, and even took an ice bath afterwards.


But I do wonder about everything out of my control, or forgetting something, or realizing I actually over-trained and am injured.  I think it’s all part of the process, but I’ll feel a lot better when I’m toeing that starting line Saturday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment