Saturday, December 14, 2013

Walnut Creek 5K

Since I didn't make my sub 30 5K time goal at the turkey trot I've been searching around for another 5K where I could give it a try.  I realized that the Walnut Creek Half Marathon and 5K was coming up and signed up for it.  This was the perfect race in many ways.  It was only a few minutes away from home and the route was on a trail that I run regularly on my long runs so I knew it very well.  I knew if I was going to do a sub 30 5K that this would be it.  I was a bit hesitant to sign up because it was $55 (two weeks out from the race) but I did it anyway. 
I convinced my BFF Marisa to run it with me even though she hasn't run in a few months.  But I told her that her out of shape equals my in shape so we'd be a perfect pair!  I was really pleased with the long-sleeve tech tee - I was not expecting something that nice for a 5K.

This morning it was really cold (in the 30s) and the race started early at 7:30 so I told Mike to stay home with the boys.  Marisa and I had a plan to try to run all 3 miles at 9:30 but that ideally once I hit the two mile mark I'd go as fast as I can in order to guarantee a sub 30 finish.  The first mile went well.  We were right on target at 9:30.  My legs were cold and felt numb so it took awhile for them to warm up.  Mile 2 was hard.  I just wasn't feeling it and not sure I'd be able to sustain the 9:30 pace for 2 more miles.  Mile 2 came in around 9:52.  I began to get worried.  I got stuck up in my head at this point.  My side hurt.  I didn't think I could do it.  Marisa was awesome.  She kept telling me I was doing great, we were on target.  I really think without her doubt would have taken over.  The last bit was up a small hill but then when we hit the downhill I just gave it all I had.  I clocked in the last 1/4 mile below 9 minutes which is VERY fast for me. At one point I looked at my watch and it showed I was at 28 minutes.  I just didn't think I'd make it.  But then I told myself I'd be really pissed if I crossed in 30:XX so I knew I had to dig deep and finish strong. 

I crossed the finish line in 29:44 which was 93rd out of 410 runners and 6th of 31 in my age group (26th female out of 260).  I can't believe it.  I've only been working with my running coach for 2 months and I've already hit one of my goals.  Now it's time to drop my time down even more.  Maybe I really am a runner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment