Monday, August 5, 2013

Homemade Granola

One of my favorite breakfasts is nonfat Greek yogurt, cut up fruit or berries, and granola.  But I've realized that store bought granola has a lot of sugar, aside from being pricey too.  I decided that I should try making my own.  At first I wasn't sure how it would compare to my favorite granola from Trader Joe's.  I was so surprised.  It's delicious!  First of all the smell of it cooking makes the whole house smell amazing.  I will never go back to store bought granola again! 

Here's the recipe I used (adapted from Alton Brown's granola recipe):
 
Ingredients

3 cups rolled oats
1 cup slivered almonds
1 cup cashews, roughly chopped
1/2 cup shredded sweet coconut
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons honey
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup raisins

Directions 
Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.

In a large bowl, combine the oats, nuts, coconut, and brown sugar.

In a separate bowl, combine honey, oil, and salt. Combine both mixtures and pour onto 2 sheet pans. Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes to achieve an even color.

Remove from oven and transfer into a large bowl. Add raisins and mix until evenly distributed.

No comments:

Post a Comment