Saturday, December 22, 2012

First run in 7 weeks

I finally got my splint off my hand.  The freedom feels great.  I'm still not cleared for full activity.  I can't carry anything greater than 1 pound and I'm not able to hyper-extend it - no push ups for me!  But it feels good to be able to do more and begin practicing active movement of my fingers.

My half marathon training program begins on New Years Eve so I knew this next week I had to start running because week one I'm expected to run 4 times with the least amount being 3 miles.  Today we decided to head out on a family run.  Mike is slowly getting back into running after recovering from CIM and didn't mind going at a slower pace. 

The forecast for the next 5 days is rain.  We were constantly looking outside to see if there would be a break in the rain.  It looked like it might be clearing up so we bundled the boys up in the double Bob and headed out.  Naturally as soon as we started running it started raining more.  We kept with it though and did our usual 3 mile loop.  My calves felt tight and after about 2 miles I was feeling really sluggish but I persevered.  It felt awesome to run again after 7 weeks off.  I felt even more accomplished because I've never run in the rain (nor have I ever wanted to).  But I know with a half marathon training plan there will be some days in which I have no choice.  It felt good to have my first run be in the rain.

I'm back in the saddle.

No comments:

Post a Comment